Starting a new business in Washington, DC is an exciting venture. There are several steps involved in registering your new business in the District of Columbia. Below are some helpful resources for starting the process.
Steps for Registering a Business in Washington, DC
Sign up for a MyTax.DC.gov account.
Register your new business using Form FR-500 from MyTaxDC.gov. Separate from Form FR-500, you will need to register for withholding tax and unemployment insurance tax.
Prepare to have the following information ready to complete the DC online tax registration form:
Your Federal Employer Identification Number (FEIN), Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN) and/or Social Security Number (SSN). Your ID Type (e.g. FEIN, SSN, or ITIN), determines which tax accounts your business is eligible for when completing the FR-500.
When registering a business with an SSN or ITIN, eligible tax accounts are:
- Franchise Tax
- Sales & Use Tax
- Specialized Sales
- Street Vendor
- Ballpark Fee
- Personal Property Tax
- Sports Wagering Tax
All other tax accounts require businesses to register with a FEIN.
- Your Business Name and Trade name must be registered and/or updated with The Department of Consumer and Regulatory Affairs (DCRA). Also, ITINS may not be used with the following tax accounts:
- Corporate Franchise
- Withholding Wage
- Withholding Non-Payroll
- Your legal form of business (ex. LLC, partnership, corporation, sole proprietor)
- Your primary business address and the addresses for all locations where you will collect sales tax in the District of Columbia.
- The names, titles, home address, SSN and/or ITIN of the proprietor, partners, or principal officers.
- The former entity information if your business was previously registered with the District of Columbia.
Additional Resources for Registering a Business in Washington, DC
DC Registration and Licensing Services
DC Office of Tax & Revenue
If you have any questions related to registering your DC-based business, please contact us through the Free Consult button below.
GET A FREE CONSULT