Starting a new business in Washington, DC is an exciting venture. There are several steps involved in registering your new business in the District of Columbia. Below are some helpful resources for starting the process.
Sign up for a MyTax.DC.gov account.
Prepare to have the following information ready to complete the DC online tax registration form:
1. Your Federal Employer Identification Number (FEIN), Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN) and/or Social Security Number (SSN). Your ID Type (e.g. FEIN, SSN, or ITIN), determines which tax accounts your business is eligible for when completing the FR-500.
When registering a business with an SSN or ITIN, eligible tax accounts are:
All other tax accounts require businesses to register with a FEIN.
2. Your Business Name and Trade name must be registered and/or updated with The Department of Consumer and Regulatory Affairs (DCRA). Also, ITINS may not be used with the following tax accounts:
3. Your legal form of business (ex. LLC, partnership, corporation, sole proprietor)
4. Your primary business address and the addresses for all locations where you will collect sales tax in the District of Columbia.
5. The names, titles, home address, SSN and/or ITIN of the proprietor, partners, or principal officers.
6. The former entity information if your business was previously registered with the District of Columbia.
DC Office of Tax & Revenue Contact: (202) 727-4829
If you have any questions related to registering your DC-based business, please contact us through the Free Consult button below.