Accounting & Tax Tips
October 11, 2022

How to File a Personal Property Tax Return in Washington, DC

What is a DC Personal Property Tax Return?

Every year, the District of Columbia levies a tax against individuals on the tangible personal property owned or held in trust in that person’s trade or business in the District. 

All businesses in Washington, DC are subject to Personal Property Tax (PPT). According to the DC Office of Tax and Revenue, individuals, corporations, partnerships, executors, administrators, guardians, receivers, and trustees that own or hold personal property trust in DC must file a personal property tax return.

*There is no tax due if the value of your personal property is $225,000 or less, however, you still must file the Personal Property Tax return. 

Helpful Resources for Filing a DC Personal Property Tax Return

  • Personal Property Tax Form FP-31 may be filed online by signing up for a account
  • Form FP-31 Instructions are available and include information on exemptions, due dates, payment options, and penalties and interest. 
  • This helpful User Guide will walk you through the process of filling out Form FP-31.
  • For additional questions, you may contact the DC Office of Tax and Revenue by calling (202) 759-1946 or emailing

Should you have additional tax and/or accounting questions related to your DC-based business, click the button below to schedule a consultation.

This is great info. Share it...

Client Reviews

Find out what Wendroff & Associates, CPA
can do for your business.